There’s a new serial killer on the streets. This serial killer targets innocent people who make the wrong decision to buy street drugs. The murderer doesn’t discriminate between individuals with a substance use disorder or teens trying substances for this first time. The super pill is a deadly combination of pills that can quickly lead to the worst-case scenario in a single dose.
It’s disguised as a pharmaceutical, leading its victims to believe the worst that will happen is a few hours of fun and maybe a nap. Mothers of dead victims say differently. The so-called new Xanax pill is one of the deadliest drugs to surface in the United States in the past few years. Knowing more information about it can stop an untimely death.
What Is the New Xanax Pill AKA the Super Pill?
The new Xanax pill isn’t the latest brand of anti-anxiety medication prescribed by doctors. It’s a combination of two powerful medications that should never be mixed. Xanax and fentanyl is this murderous combo.
Xanax and the Super Pill
Xanax, also known as alprazolam, is a medication prescribed to treat anxiety, panic disorder, and some symptoms of depression. It belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines, or benzos for short. Benzos are known to make people feel calm on their own.
It does it by providing the central nervous system (CNS) with more gamma-aminobutyric acid to use (GABA). GABA is scientifically referred to as an inhibitory neurotransmitter. Basically, this type of brain chemical inhibits the flow of chemical messages. Hence, the influx of GABA causes the body’s systems to slow down more than usual.
Fentanyl and the Super Pill
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), fentanyl is a dangerously powerful synthetic opioid typically prescribed by doctors to treat people with severe pain. Fentanyl is up to 100 times more potent than morphine. It’s not usually prescribed long-term. The exception is for people who just underwent surgery. Though, individuals suffering from chronic pain may receive a prescription of fentanyl if they’re resistant to other painkillers.
Sometimes it’s diverted to a clandestine market, but might be made secretly in makeshift labs. Humans have opioid receptors in the CNS. When an opioid, like fentanyl, is consumed, it makes a person feel calmer, happier and reduces the amount of pain they feel.
In prescription form, fentanyl is known as Actiq, Duragesic, and Sublimaze. On the streets it may be known as:
- Dance Fever
- Murder 8
Whatever the name, it’s dangerous to take without the advice of a doctor. Opioids are responsible for the most deaths in the United States. Plus, 59% of deaths involve fentanyl. The chances of death are increased when mixed with a substance like benzos. This is what makes the super pill much more deadly than other street drugs.
Signs Of Super Pill Consumption and Dependence
There are limited research and literature available surrounding “the new Xanax pill” AKA the super pill. Yet, the combination of an opioid and benzodiazepine likely exacerbates both intended effects and the side effects. Though, most people don’t intentionally take the super pill.
It’s dubbed the new Xanax pill not only because it’s one of the ingredients, but because it looks like one. Reports say that it can look like a Xanax in size and shape. Even worse, some have the word “Xanax” pressed into the tablet. Law enforcement speculates drug dealers want to pass it off as Xanax so it will sell, despite it killing people.
Individuals who consume the super pill and survive might experience:
- Drastic change in appetite
- A sense of relaxation
Since Xanax and fentanyl can be highly addictive. This can happen after a small dose of the new Xanax pill:
- Inability to function normally
- Intense cravings for more
- Asking for money from strangers and acquaintances randomly
- Stealing from loved ones to buy more
- Withdrawing from friends and family
- Loss of interest in their favorite activities
- Visibly losing an unhealthy amount of weight
- Not taking care of important responsibilities (ie: picking up a child from school)
A substance use disorder doesn’t look the same for every individual. Yet, the commonality is that it makes people forget about everything except for securing more of what they crave. While this is dangerous in all scenarios, it might be more for the super pill because of the low cost.
Reports from multiple news outlets say that the new Xanax pill can be bought for as little as five dollars. Unfortunately, this could disproportionately affect poor Americans. According to the American Public Health Association, substance use and poverty is the main factor for first-time homelessness.
Short-Term Effects of the Super Pill
It seems like most people who consume the super pill don’t get to experience the short-term effects. It’s likely short-lived. Law enforcement quoted by NBC News stated that it seems like people who sell the super drug are trying to kill people. Yet, if they are able to survive this substance serial killer, they might go experience a multitude of unpleasant effects.
4 Short-Term Effects of the New Xanax Pill
- They might get vivid nightmares. The combination of both of these highly addictive, powerful substances can result in terrible dreams. People should never experience a high level of GABA and increased opioids in tandem. So, the brain can react violently. Those close to a person using the super pill might be able to notice their loved one has developed irregular sleeping patterns and always looks tired.
- Hallucinations might occur because of the super pill. The mixture of benzos and opioids can cause vivid hallucinations visual or auditory. A sign of this is a person has detailed stories of events that never happened. They might tell a story of how they lost a leg but clearly have two legs. Additionally, paranoia can come about because of these hallucinations which develop into a psychotic break.
- Those who consume the new Xanax pill might experience gastrointestinal issues. A drug overdose can cause nausea and vomiting. In short, this is the body’s way of trying to purge the substance. For this reason, nausea can be because of any number of substances, including alcohol. Though, it could be a warning sign of this deadly little pill.
- They will most likely have breathing issues. NIDA writes that 30% of opioid overdoses also involve benzos. They claim that this is a more dangerous combo than most because both types of substances “sedate users and suppress breathing.” In some cases, benzos and opioids may be prescribed at the same time (unfortunately, notes NIDA). But doctors understand the dosage, dealers don’t.
Long-Term Effects of the Super Pill
Unfortunately, there’s really only effects with the super pill versus short-term and long-term. It acts quickly, leaving many people without loved ones. A mother interviewed by NBC News tearfully told viewers that her son was only 17 when he took the super pill. She found him dead in bed the next morning. She told NBC he had a promising future and just made a bad decision.
Dozens of cases across the country echo a similar sentiment. The long-term effects of the new Xanax have a much shorter timeline in comparison to other street substances. Common long-term effects include the following.
3 Long-Term Effects of the Super Pill
- This substance can leave individuals in a coma and intense sedation. As mentioned before, NIDA writes that the combo of opioids and benzos can force an extreme form of sedation. This is the case even when doctors prescribe the two together. A study found that overdose deaths were 10 times more likely in those prescribed both. Since the super pill combines the two without any regard to dosage, it can cause a coma or extreme sedation without overdosing. Narcan can help them survive this scenario.
- The new Xanax pill can cause a slowed heart rate. The Xanax portion of the super pill causes the body’s systems to slow down. This includes the pulmonary system. A slowed heart rate isn’t always dangerous. A sleeping person has a slow heart rate. But after a certain point, it can be deadly. This is the case with the super pill.
- They will likely die from taking the super pill. Some people are lucky enough to survive taking the super pill. But as shown before, many are not. They’ll likely fall into a coma or fall asleep before. If caught early enough, a doctor can save their life. It only takes a few hours and a small dose to kill a person.
Sana Lake Behavioral Wellness Center Knows the Super Pill is Life-Threatening
The simple truth is we don’t deal with too many members that have a super pill use disorder. It’s because most of them die before they can get help. But, other substances can be just as life-threatening. Before it leads to serious consequences, contact us to get effective behavioral wellness treatment in Missouri.